Friday 9 January 2015

Why I Get So Emotionally Attached to TV Show Characters


Why do I get attached to my TV show characters? Well, let me start with this.

I am a TV show addict. I fall in love with shows, become emotionally attached to the characters and their lives. I myself fall into the show, leaving my world behind and become engulfed in their world. Their feelings are my feelings. What happens to them happens to me. Most of you would be like "ew go outside, talk to real people, blah blah blah" ... all I have to say to you is 'bye'. If you don't get emotionally attached to TV characters like I do, just stop reading this post because this is a waste of your time. (This doesn't mean I'm some hermit who doesn't go outside and just sits in her room by herself just watching tv shows 24/7... I have friends, I swear.)

TV shows are a beautiful distraction for me. They are how I distract myself from whatever is going on in my life, and I really don't see that as a bad thing. I have learned so much from different shows. Life lessons... love lessons... friendship lessons... you name it. Believe it or not, some are educational. 

The beautiful thing about television is that it lets you live vicariously through these characters lives. I have had a strong relationship with a mother figure through Rory & Lorelai from Gilmore Girls, had awkward teenage love triangles through Jenna from Awkward., fallen in love with TWO sexy vampire brothers and had to protect my town from the supernatural through Elena from Vampire Diaries, re-inhabited earth only to find the dangers lurking on ground through Clarke from The 100, and become a fantastic surgeon through all of my fav characters (I can't choose just one are you kidding) from Greys Anatomy. I could go on forever referring to different shows but i'll stop now.

The thing is, it sucks when people die. If you watch supernatural shows like The Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, The 100 etc... you know they aren't afraid to kill off main characters. In more teenager-y shows like Awkward. or Gossip Girl for instance, they don't usually kill off characters, which is super nice cause you can count on your heart not being broken.

Watching shows like Greys Anatomy also makes me want to do what they are doing (I know the show is more unrealistic and isn't really what it is like to work in a hospital environment, but its nice to dream). I actually really wish I could be a surgeon and save lives, but I can't because I can't even look at blood let alone cut someone open and touch their insides.  So television shows (and movies) just let us dream for a little bit, even though they are unrealistic most of the time, its nice to be able to dive into a world that would be kinda nice to be apart of. Hot doctors and on-call rooms? Like come onnnnn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recently I have become obsessed with Greys and The 100, so I would like to discuss them both.
(*SPOILERS TO COME*) 

 
See, heres the thing. I have been binge watching Greys Anatomy right, and I just finished Season 10 and I feel like all I have done the last few seasons is cry. Like from George, to the shooting at Seattle Grace Mercy West, then the place crash, Lexie and Mark, Christina leaving... I just can't take any more death in that show. After the plane crash anytime Lexie or Mark were ever mentioned I would burst out into tears. Good thing I only watch these shows with my cat, cause he can't make fun of me to other people. But seriously, I can't be the only one. I hated Lexie at first to be honest, but that quickly changed. The writers really know how to get the viewers attached to EVERY CHARACTER, so kudos to them. Any other Greys fan knows that since season 1 we have been on an emotional roller coaster that, by the looks of the season 11 premiere, doesn't look like it will ever stop. And I am super okay with that.

Now to The 100. It has only been half of the second season and so much has happened already its unbelievable. I just finished watching the episode "Spacewalker", I am in shock that the Mountain Men are the people who are creating the Reapers, but after seeing the cages of Grounders they have I am not surprised and it kind of all makes sense. Mount Weather seemed too good to be true, so obviously something bad was going to happen but I never expected them to go as far as human blood bags. Second of all, Pretty sure if someone said to me when I first started watching the show that they would kill Finn off, I would laugh and say "Yaaaaa oookkaaay" in my classic sarcastic tone. But when that season 2 mid-season finale came around and the leader of the Grounders made it clear that to stop a war they had to give Finn over to them I got a bad feeling. It was such a 'Finn' thing to do to surrender himself, and it was actually not surprised he did that seeing as how guilty he was feeling after the massacre. The part that killed me was Clarke killing Finn herself so that he would not be tortured by the Grounders. I literally rewinded that part so many times back because I couldn't believe my eyes. I probably don't have to tell you how much I was crying either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment